Friday, August 24, 2012

MGOC Contributor: Catherine Mulvany


CATHERINE MULVANY

EXCERPT from "Lessons from the Vampire Slayer" by Catherine Mulvany in Many Genres, One Craft: Lessons in Writing Popular Fiction

When my editor suggested I try writing a vampire book (Something Wicked), I had a hard time working up any enthusiasm. I was familiar with Bram Stoker’s classic, Dracula, of course, Salem’s Lot by Stephen King, and Chelsea Quinn Yarbro’s Saint-Germain books, but no recently published work. So my first task was to read a broad cross section of current vampire fiction. Though I found many of the novels entertaining, I still wasn’t sure I could make a blood-sucking demon into a convincing hero.

--

Catherine Mulvany is the author of six novels and one novella. She holds a Master's degree in Writing Popular Fiction from Seton Hill University and has taught school for fifteen years. Married with three children, she lives in the Pacific Northwest. Visit her website at www.catherinemulvany.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment