Tuesday, July 19, 2011

MGOC Contributor: Crystal B. Bright


Crystal B. Bright


EXCERPT from "Write from the Heart" by Crystal B. Bright in Many Genres, One Craft: Lessons in Writing Popular Fiction

No.

That was the very first word I had heard when I shared my dream about becoming an author. Because I wanted to be a part of the writing profession, it was difficult to wrap my brain around the fact that it wouldn’t be easy to get published, and, worse yet, a publisher may not want my stories.

However, I learned that everyone, including publishers, has an agenda. Those agendas are based on what they see as a clear pattern of success.

As an undergraduate, I met with my academic advisor to discuss my educational future. It was my job to convey to her where I saw my future, as a multi-published author, selling my romances to a legion of fans. It was my academic advisor’s job to make sure that I would have a career after college. So when she asked me what I wanted to do when I "grow up" and I told her I wanted to write books, it shouldn’t have shocked me when she immediately said, "That’s nice. Now what will you do for money?"

--

A self-professed nerd, Crystal B. Bright has been telling stories for as long as she can remember. Not one to give up on her dreams, she was determined to make it as an author after earning her B.A. in Creative Writing from Old Dominion University and her M.A. in Writing Popular Fiction from Seton Hill University. Crystal makes Virginia Beach her home. She enjoys writing, reading, watching movies and spending quality time with her family and close friends. To know more, please visit her website at www.CrystalBrightWriter.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment