Monday, September 19, 2011

MGOC Contributor: Dana Marton


Dana Marton


EXCERPT from "Creating My Niche in Romantic Suspense" by Dana Marton in Many Genres, One Craft: Lessons in Writing Popular Fiction

For the first twelve plus years of my writing career, I wrote five complete novels and numerous partials, then dutifully sent each to multiple agents and publishers. None of those stories were ever published. In the six years that followed, I wrote twenty-five romantic suspense novels that are now published or currently scheduled for publication with Harlequin Intrigue.

You might notice that the second period was somewhat more productive than the first.

So what changed?

For one, continuous writing improved my writing skills. I didn’t send in that first completed book and waited until it sold. I kept writing and submitting through twelve years of rejections. I also found writers’ organizations and learned from their workshops and from other writers. I even went back to college to study writing in a more systematic way. But one of the most important things that finally brought success was that I learned to focus.

--

Award-winning author Dana Marton has had a passion for reading and writing stories since childhood. She has penned several novels in the SDDU (Secret Designation Defense Unit) series that feature tough as nails heroes, breathtaking suspense and heart pounding romance. Her books are published in seven languages in eleven countries around the world. Ms. Marton has a graduate degree in Writing Popular Fiction from Seton Hill University. When not writing or reading, she loves to browse antique shops and enjoys working in her sizable flower garden. Visit her at http://www.danamarton.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment