Saturday, August 4, 2012

MGOC Contributor: Steven Piziks


STEVEN PIZIKS

EXCERPT from "A Primer for Writing Media Tie-ins" by Steven Piziks in Many Genres, One Craft: Lessons in Writing Popular Fiction

Two weeks before Christmas, 2002, my agent Lucienne called me out of the blue. Like most authors, I love it when my agent calls me out of the blue. It means good news. When it’s bad news, agents send e-mail.

“I have a proposal for you,” Lucienne said. “Have you heard of John Cusack?”

“Yes,” I said cautiously.

“He’s doing a thriller called Identity, and Pocket Books acquired the rights to publish the novel based on the movie. The editor called me to ask if I knew anyone who wanted to write it. The movie deals with multiple personality disorder, and since your first novel was all about MPD, I thought of you. Interested? They’re offering ten thousand dollars.”

--

Steven Piziks currently teaches English in southeast Michigan. When not writing, he plays the folk harp, dabbles in oral storytelling, and spends more time on-line than is probably good for him. Visit his web page at http://spiziks.livejournal.com or find him on Twitter as @StevenPiziks.

No comments:

Post a Comment